Saturday, June 25, 2011

MS Educational Leadership Program Goals

Goals
Envision and guide organizational change.
From my personal experience, guiding organizational change is difficult. People are afraid of change, especially when it involves the workplace. When there is change I like to be the type of leader that is cognizant of people’s fears and do my best to be reassuring. As shown on the COEHS model (Cramer, 2011) a Change Agent needs to be a caring intellectual in order to guide change with a minimum of discord. This is an area that I have improved on over the years, but one that I still need to cultivate. I am still learning to embrace change because of that my guidance and attitude could be more positive.
Communicate effectively, engage constituents, develop people and build community.
This is my weakest area. I have so much work to do in this area I really do not know where to begin.  I do not consider myself a “people person.” I prefer the research and background tasks of being a leader.  The COEHS model (Cramer, 2011) uses the term “skillful practitioner” when it comes to communicating, engaging, developing and building community I am hoping this program will help me with these skills as I will need to become an accomplished communicator to reach my end goal of earning a doctorate and perusing a  university career.
Advocate and promote equity for diverse populations and respect for individuals.
I believe this is an area where I excel. I believe all people are equal and should be treated with respect.  Though I feel comfortable with my skills in this area I am learning in my class with Dr. Parks that there is so much more than what appears on the surface in regard to promoting equity.  As a lifelong learner my goal is to continue to question and learn about this area.
Integrate theory, data, research and ethical standards into the context of one’s practice through continuous learning.
This is the area of my education that I find most exciting. Combining everything I am learning into a cohesive set of knowledge. As shown on the COEHS model this where educators bring everything together as Change Agents, Lifelong Learners, Skillful Practitioners and Reflective Professionals. (Cramer, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment