Saturday, June 25, 2011

MS Educational Leadership Program Dispositions

Values change as the source of opportunity for improvement.
It took me a long time to see change as a positive. I was like the character Haw in Who Moved my Cheese, (Johnson, 2003)I fought tooth and nail against change until I did not have a choice. It was a sink or swim situation. I learned to embrace all the exciting possibilities and opportunities that come with change.  It is not natural for me to embrace change, this is a work in progress.
Displays the ability to understand people and relationships and is receptive to the ideas of others.
I believe this is another area in which I excel. I think my past experiences have enabled me to be a good leader in this aspect. I believe in listening and respecting the ideas as everyone has value to add.
Shows willingness to implement non-discriminatory access, accommodations and assessments.
Before I started the Social Justice class with Dr. Parks I would have stated that this was an area in which I did not need any work.  Through the classes I have and am currently taking I realize that there is an enormous amount of information I need to process internally and that I will constantly need to explore and  continually question the status quo.
Demonstrates empathic understanding of diversity in all domains.
Again, I thought that this was an area where I was where I needed to be, but I know longer believe that is the case. As a white person I have realized through recent conversations and readings that it is not possible for me to truly be emphatic and understanding without much more discussion and learning.
Regularly reflects upon the philosophical assumptions, ethical principles and rationales that guide one’s practice.
I am a believer in keeping my mind open to new ideas. That is the only way to learn.  Reading and discussions with my peers that challenge my philosophical assumptions help me  reflect and question my principles and rationales that guide me.
Understands oneself as a learner and values learning as a core capacity.
Learning is one of the most important aspects of my life.  I know how I learn and what I have to do facilitate that learning. The reason I want to earn my doctorate and work at a university is because I want to be in a constant learning environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment